Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A lil' struggs











Being in the dance studio is really exciting, and the dance studios at Alfred University are BEAUTIFUL! It's awesome working with Layla and Julia (Julia is the co-choreographer for "Hot Mess" and a fellow Italian!). Their style of dance and ideas are very different from what I am used to. The style of Julia and Layla is more gesture and pedestrian based rather than traditional dancing that most people might think of. It sounds like a simple concept, but it is actually really difficult, especially for someone like me who is used to Jazz and ballet which consist of very dance-ie movements. It is quite difficult to execute pedestrian movements and appear natural. You can't make a natural everyday movement (like bumping into someone on the street, or standing really close to a stranger on the subway) look purposeful, or overly rehearsed, or too exaggerated. For example, today as part of the dance combination we had to run really fast then come to an abrupt halt and act like we just banged our body into a wall. I kept trying, and trying to execute this movement, but I just looked so unnatural. So, I actually physically ran into a wall numerous times to see how it felt so that when I acted it out in the dance, I would look realistic and not so forceful. I must say that repeatedly running into a wall so I could learn how to execute the movement more realistically did hurt a bit, but I improved! I still have some work to do on this movement that may sound simple to you, but I'm telling you, it's hard! Nevertheless, it is exciting to have the opportunity to dance in a forum that is outside of my comfort zone.

















-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Recently in the BAAD residency we have experienced a bit of frustration and stress because one of the dancers in the production quit. Now, instead of having three performers, we only have two (and those two dancers/performers are me and Layla). Despite the loss of a dancer I have full confidence that Layla and Julia will make the production look just as awesome, and the BAAD tour will prevail! As of now we have three people all together on the tour. Me, Layla, and Alexis (Alexis is our totally awesome tour manager) are currently the only three on the BAAD tour, which may sound like a little to you, however, School House Rock tells us that "three is the magic number," and this I strongly believe!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I were a passerby and I saw myself riding a bicycle I would laugh really hard. I thought I was good at riding a bike, but turns out riding your bike from your dorm to your academic building at school does not count as actually being able to ride a bike. So far I have been chased by two dogs, and an 85 year old man passed me going up a hill. I am chronically last every time Alexis, Layla and I go on rides. Thus, they have dubbed me "The Caboose" of the group. It is really quite amusing. The three of us have made a bet that whoever falls off their bike first on the tour (which is bound to happen) has to lick their tire. So far, Alexis and Layla suspect I will be the first to have to lick my tire. Despite my inability to ride Paul (excuse the sexual pun) gracefully, biking through upstate New York is truly a beautiful experience. It is so mountainous and green. Alfred is surrounded by breathe-taking farms and countryside. Just having the opportunity to bike out here and connect with nature while attempting to ride Paul with two awesome women accompanying me, is truly an amazing experience. I feel honored to share with great people.

No comments:

Post a Comment